Wednesday 27 February 2013

Caped Crusader


Oscar de la Renta cape

Let’s talk capes.

I’m not sure how it first started, but I’ve been thinking about them for a while. Capes haven’t really been ‘in fashion’ per say since the camel Chloe version of a few years ago, which was copied, and subsequently sold out, at Zara. They can have a tendency to look a little costumey, so I’ve never been able to find one I liked. After falling in love with the sixties, fur trimmed capes at the Valentino retrospective at Somerset House, I found this version at American Apparel. It’s quite a simple shape, not too long, and is AA’s California fleece material so it’s pretty practical for every day. They also do a wool version, but it doesn’t come in as many colours which put me off.  
 
A few of the designers have shown capes over the last couple of weeks, including Oscar de la Renta, pictured above. I think the trick to making them work is to pick a simple shape, with minimal detailing, in a classic colour. I personally think they look better worn over trousers, but that’s just me. Despite the obvious arm restrictions, I think this will look pretty chic for Spring, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment